Sunday, July 7, 2013

Making elderflower cordial. The final stage.

I now have a bucket of golden, infused liquid.
Into my largest saucepan, this used to be a fabulous old preserving pan, but sadly it doesn't work on my induction hob, so until I find an induction friendly old preserving pan, I'm using just a large saucepan, which does the job, just isn't as aesthetically pleasing!!!
So. . .  into my saucepan I measure my liquid and add 750 grams of sugar and a tablespoon of citric acid per 1 litre of liquid. 

Citric acid is a natural preservative which enhances the flavour and lengthens the keeping time of the cordial.



This is then heated gently, stirred continually until the sugar has dissolved and brought to the boil. I allow it to bubble for a few minutes then take it off the heat and leave it to cool for a bit.


Now all ready for bottling.

I use the traditional lemonade type glass bottles with the metal hinged stoppers.
To sterilise these I simply give them a good wash, rinse and place in a hot oven until dry.

To bottle . . 
Ladle the cordial into a jug, place a funnel into a bottle and pour carefully.

Close the stopper and hey presto - a fabulous bottle of elderflower cordial.
Label them up and store somewhere cool, dark and dry.














No comments:

Post a Comment